2006 Sons of the Desert International Convention
All interviews are conducted by our roving reporter Mr. Steve Wichrowski Jr., Grand Sheik of the USA's Air Raid Wardens Tent, additional commentary by our own Mr. Mike David.
PART ONE: At a banquet in the Marriott Convention Center in Augusta, Georgia, Denise Carter of the Berth Marks Tent and the Laurel and Hardy Museum of Harlem, Georgia, introduces Bob Satterfield of the Way Out West Tent who makes a special announcement. Interview with Rev. Rudolph Dixon. Conventioneers sing ‘We are the Sons of the Desert’. Interview with Sjaak Bolder of Amsterdam's Perfect Day Tent. Jean Darling sings "Mr. Snow" from the Broadway musical "Carousel". Interview with John DeSanto on research for his writing of "So What About Fin?" and how to order the book.
Click on images to enlarge.
1. Fin author John DeSanto.
2. Rev. Dixon addresses the crowd outside city hall -- note the still at right for making the 190 proof "Mountain Dew"
3. Robin Root of the local tent; to the left Dennis Moriarty as Stan and to the right is Dale E. Walter, Sr. as Ollie
PART TWO: Map Boon of Amsterdam's Perfect Day Tent talks with Steve Wichrowski about plans for the 2008 Sons International Convention. A humorous interview with Florida Grand Sheik Ron Young who recalls his 1986 interview on the Nutty Nut News Network Show and enthuses about meeting other Sons at the convention. Interview with Del Kempster, Grand Sheik of the UK's Live Ghost Tent and an editor for the Intra Tent Journal; Del comments on the upcoming 2008 convention in Amsterdam and sites to see there. A lively interview with Jean Darling who describes sites to see in Amsterdam and Germany. Steve interviews two Sons from Harlem, Georgia, and a newlywed couple from Bolton, England.
1. Steve interviewing Live Ghost Grand Sheik and ITJ editor Del Kempster
2. Newlyweds Kim and Steve Kenyon from Bolton England, who were engaged at the Laurel and Hardy Museum in Ulverston and married at the Laurel and Hardy Museum in Harlem
3. A smiling Map Boon of Amsterdam's Perfect Day Tent
4. Florida Grand Sheik Ron Young jokes with Steve
PART THREE: Delightful interview with Payne Johnson on his 14 years in films, including "So Big!" (1932) with Barbara Stanwyck, a couple of his Our Gang movies and how he secured the role of one of the Three Little Pigs in 1934's "Babes In Toyland". Interview with Kevin Butler, former member of the Founding Tent, on visiting sites in Georgia related to Ollie's life there. Author Savannah Furman discusses her publications written about several of the Sons Conventions and how to order the books. Interview with Jim Wylie of California concerning recently discovered Laurel and Hardy film locations.
1. Harlem High School Theater Group which presented the very well received tribute to Laurel and Hardy: "Take A Smile"
2.Kevin Butler of Orlando, Florida, standing by an historical sign dedicated to Ollie by the city of Madison, GA, where he went to school
3. Laurel and Hardy impersonators McKenna and Levy
4. Payne Johnson who played "Jiggs", one of the Three Little Pigs in 1934's Babes In Toyland
5. Steve interviewing author Savannah Furman concerning her books dealing with Sons conventions
PART FOUR: A fascinating interview with Jean Darling who recounts her interesting and amusing experiences during the filming of the 1928 Our Gang film "Barnum and Ringling, Inc." She also describes antics on the set of "Babes In Toyland" (1934) including an amicable disagreement between Stan and Babe concerning her dress. Jean reveals the cast member on whom she had a crush and fondly remembers actress Marie Wilson. Interview with Roger Gordon, Grand Sheik of the USA's Two Tars Tent and an editor for the Intra Tent Journal. Here Roger discusses improvements in the Journal and his reaction to the convention. Passing of the Pineapple Banquet: The Berth Marks Tent honours the venerable tradition by passing the Pineapple to Anton Hyups and Map Boon of the host tent for the 2008 International Sons of the Desert Convention.
1. Dwain Smith of the Founding Tent with Grand Sheik and Intra Tent Journal Editor Roger Gordon and wife
2. Convention guest and star Jean Darling holding Steve's tape recorder
3. Jean Darling at the convention center with Dale E. Walter, Sr., and Dennis Moriarty
4. The Convention's special guests: two stars of the Our Gang comedies and Babes In Toyland, Payne Johnson and Jean Darling
5. Sjaak Bolder, Map Boon and Anton Myups of Amsterdam's Perfect Day Tent celebrate their tent's victory at being chosen to host the 2008 Sons Convention